1/08/2018

Isometric Geometry Series.



When I begin a new series I like to establish a specific set of rules, ie. size, materials, techniques, concepts, themes, etc. Working this way allows me to experiment within parameters, somewhat scientifically, so that at the end of the exploration I have made a cohesive family of works, yet each piece has its own personality. I am comfortable with this way of working since it is similar to the way most projects are structured in my design studio, collaborating with a team or client, working towards a solution, with a clear objective but not quite sure how it will look once alive. Experimenting and modifying the variables until the composition feels complete and the series is whole.



It’s important for me to make this type of work with wet paint. This isometric op-art stem of my work has evolved through my explorations working digitally, but there is always a different energy when handmade. I enjoy the challenge, reminding myself that practically any digital style work can be made the old fashion way. Even if it’s hours rather than minutes, paintings like this are a pleasure to actualize. Even more fun when super-sized mural scale.



I tend to not sketch anything for these abstract compositions. It’s a process of just going with the flow and seeing where the growth guides my next actions. Some of the strongest results come from spontaneous confident freestyles rather than actualizing a pre-designed blueprint. Working this way also ensures that every moment feels like an adventure, with new decisions and reactions throughout the process.



Some folks gravitate more towards the simple early phases of this type of work. The first layers, just when the canvas begins to have an optical illusion push-and-pull of implied perspective and depth. I understand this, some people prefer minimalism. Personally I enjoy maximalism. And as the artist I get to experience both. I take plenty of photos along the way so I can see each panel in its evolution from basic to complex. Maybe when I am old and grey I will slow down and take a shot at minimalism, but for the foreseeable future I’m happy to continue pushing it with a ‘more is more’ frame of mind.



During wintertime it’s a fun change of pace to work small-scale with acrylic paint, rather than on a ladder painting murals with spray. And I love to work on series. The thought of making one-off paintings in my studio feels more like one word at a time rather than a full sentence. And by working on a group, this time 5 panels, I am able to make actions on some while others are drying. Sort of like playing several games of Tetris simultaneously.